Sunday, September 15, 2013

An Interesting Perspective of the Bikers 2 Washington

From the Editor:  Last I heard, Barry was still answering e-mails, but he did post this by David DeFries and I am sharing it as well.

This is not my article, but it fits with my sentiments exactly, except that I do ride. He said it well. - Barry 
David DeFries wrote this. Well said.

As I wrote about this event over the week leading up to it I had many supporters but also many who questioned my involvement. Some asked " Why are you going, you aren't a biker?" and others rolled their eyes and said " why difference will it make." Yes, I wasn't a biker, so I would drive my car and I don't know what difference it will make, but not knowing an outcome has never stopped me from fighting before. I haven't gone on a vacation since I was 23 ( 20 years), haven't had a weeks off in ten and have only closed my office 4 times in the last 7 years so I figured I owed it to myself to join something that meant something to me. I watched as the numbers grew each day from several thousand to ten then to forty then eighty then over one hundred thousand....100,000 people who had had enough of being made to feel like outsiders in their own country. 100,000 people who had had enough of being asked to put aside their values and beliefs and to better understand and embrace a culture that hates theirs. Over 100,000 people, who are no longer resigned to sit back and be told what they should think, feel and say but are asked to fight the wars, build the roads and pay the taxes.

This morning myself and three friends pulled our to vehicles into a McDonalds in SE Pennsylvania and met up with a few riders. We hoped on 95 and linked up with more. As we travelled down south stopping at rest areas the pack grew larger and so did my understanding of bikers. While driving along side the pack everyone was conscious of each other and slowed or sped to keep the unit together. Even the support vehicles started to develop a system to keep everyone connected. At each spot I met new people and everyone was excited and friendly.
By the time we arrived at Ft Washington I was overwhelmed by everything. There were people and bikes as far as the eye could see. We settled in behind a bar and began walking trying to find friends and along the way made dozens of new ones. I was amazed at how calm it was among thousands of people and the palpable comradery that was in the air.

For an event that was organized so quickly and of such magnitude, it was fluid and purposeful , as if it were a ballet.
After all of the bikes pulled out and the vehicles were left to chase them down, we made our way to the demonstration area and found just a dozen or so antagonist and felt somewhat deflated as the enemy did not show. Riding home I realized that this wasn't about the Muslims, it was about us Americans and understanding what 911 means now. It means we took a knife to the gut and survived. We realized we are not invincible but we are tough as nails.
I just stood in the middle of thousands of people who didn't ask what difference it would make rather they showed what difference THEY could make.
As of this writing the 2 Million Biker March has over a quarter of a million followers. That is quite an army of my peers.
Maybe I am a biker after all.
I don't feel so different after today. Thanks to everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment