Sunday, August 4, 2013

Guard Your Words

                                                   by Barry W. Gaugler

We don't often think about our words. Sometimes, in the heat of a moment, we may say things, that are foolish, and hurtful. We may later come back and say, " I really didn't mean it," and ask for forgiveness. Have we ever given thought to the fact, that once words are spoken, they go out into eternity, and can never really be taken back? Sometimes, the words we speak come back, to bite us, at a later time in our life, and there is no turning the matter around, no matter how many tears are shed.

In Genesis 25:30 - 34 we read,

And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called E'-dom. And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright. And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me? And Jacob said, swear to me this day; and he swear unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentils; and he did eat and drink, and rose up and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright. (KJV)

Some may ask, "What does this have to do with me? This is just a story out of the Scriptures, and is not even remotely related to my life." Is that so? Do we not understand, that our heavenly Father is not a respecter of persons? Do we not understand, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by our words we shall be justified, and by our words we shall be condemned? (Matthew 12:36 & 37)

It is all too often, that I hear people, who profess, to having a relationship with our heavenly Father, and His Messiah, speaking with cursing, and foul language proceeding from their lips. I do not exclude myself from this. I find myself guilty, so please do not think that I am judging others. I find it to be a daily struggle. I have grown up in a rough neighborhood, served in the military, and worked with plenty of people, where it was a common occurrence.

The tongue, is most difficult to bridle. However, it is not only the cursing that brings into question our relationship with the Almighty, but our confessions, and negative conversations. The Scriptures tell us, that sweet water, and salt water cannot come from the same well. I believe the Spirit is looking for a people who will let their Yea be Yea, and their Nay be Nay. The time has come for us, who called by the name of Yeshua, to bring forth blessings, and leave the cursing to those of this world.

I pray that Ruach haKodesh (the Holy Spirit) would grant us the grace, to clean up our language. May the words that proceed from our mouths, originate from a heart that has been purified by the working of Your Spirit within our being, to the Glory of our heavenly Father, and I ask it, in the name of our Blessed Savior, Yeshua haMashiach.

Shalom Ahlaychem,
Barry W Gaugler

No comments:

Post a Comment